Mr. Mendelson graduated magna cum laude from the State University of New York at New Paltz in 1983. While at college, Mr. Mendelson was selected to participate in the United Nations Semester, a project where selected students traveled to the United Nations weekly to meet with diplomats representing various countries throughout the world.
In 1983, Mr. Mendelson began studying law at the Rutgers University School of Law in Camden, New Jersey. In 1986, after being selected to represent Rutgers University at the Jessup International Moot Court competition, Mr. Mendelson graduated from Rutgers University School of Law and began practicing law as an associate with the Cherry Hill law firm of Davis, Reberkenny & Abramowitz, P.C. 1986 was also the year Mr. Mendelson met his wife, Maryelizabeth Mendelson, a fellow Rutgers law school student. Mr. Mendelson and his wife have raised their four children in Voorhees, New Jersey; with the last of their four children leaving home in August of 2021 to start her freshman year at St. Joseph’s University.
As a long-time resident of Voorhees Township, Mr. Mendelson is proud of the fact that he served as the solicitor for the Voorhees Township Board of Education for over 30 years, and has provided volunteer services on behalf of the Voorhees Township Police Department. Mr. Mendelson is also proud of the services he’s provided to and through his church; St. Andrew the Apostle Roman Catholic Church.
Mr. Mendelson began his legal career as an associate and shareholder with the respected Cherry Hill law firm of Davis, Reberkenny & Abramowitz, P.C. from 1986 until December 31, 1999 when, along with William C. Davis, Esquire of the firm, he left Davis, Reberkenny & Abramowitz, P.C. to establish the law firm of Davis & Mendelson, L.L.C. This is where Mr. Mendelson, together with the lawyers, paralegals, and administrators he has hired since, have developed a legal practice which puts concerns for people and justice ahead of profits; and, in so doing, have dedicated their collective time and expertise to providing cost-effective problem-solving solutions to the persons and companies represented by Davis & Mendelson, L.L.C.
Howard has developed a legal practice that puts concerns for people and justice ahead of profits.
Mr. Mendelson has also taught and/or lectured for Burlington County College, for the Camden County Bar Association, the National Academy of Paralegal Studies and for the National Business Institute. He has also co-authored two books for the National Business Institute, “Real Estate Law in New Jersey” and “Family Law in New Jersey”. Mr. Mendelson is also responsible for “making law” in the context of his primary areas of practice. The cases of Clever v. Cherry Hill Township Board of Education, 838 F. Supp. 929 (D.N.J. 1993) and M.A. v. Voorhees Township Board of Education, 202 F. Supp. 2d 345 (D.N.J. 2002), affirmed 2003WL21357251 (3rd Cir. 2003) remain leading cases addressing constitutional protections in the context of the public school system and confines of a school district’s special education responsibilities.
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Mediation/ Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Community Association Law
- Education Law
- Commercial Law
- Real Estate Law
- New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law – Camden, Camden, New Jersey, 1986 J.D.
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Jessup International Moot Court
State University of New York Paltz, New Paltz, New York, 1982 B.S.
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Honors: United Nations Semester
- Major: Education
- Real Estate in New Jersey, National Business Institute
- Family Law in New Jersey, National Business Institute
- Clever v. Cherry Hill Township Board of Education, 838 F. Supp 929 (District Court (D.N.J.) 1993)
- M.A. v. Voorhees Township Board of Education, 202 F. Supp 2d. 345 (District Court (D.N.J.) 2002)
- Hensel v. Voorhees Township Board of Education, OAL Docket No. 155-09 (Commissioner of EDU 2009)
- Voorhees Township Board of Education
- Beckett Association, Inc.
- Dentrex, Inc.
- Honorable Andrew Altenburg
- Honorable Gloria M. Burns
- Honorable Lee B. Laskin
- Congressman Louis Greenwald
Classes/ Seminars Taught:
- Family Law, Rowan College Burlington County (Mt Laurel), 2005 – Present
- Family Law, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2000 – Present
Affiliations, Professional Associations, and Memberships:
- Rowan College at Burlington County Advisory Board
- Thomas S. Forkin American Family Law Inn of Court
- Camden County Bar Association
- Burlington County Bar Association
- Gloucester County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions:
- Davis, Reberkenny & Abramovitz, P.C., Attorney, 1986 – 1999
Pro Bono Activities:
- Rutgers Pro Bono Domestic Violence Clinic
- Camden County Legal Services